db2utils is a collection of utility routines for IBM DB2 for Linux/UNIX/Windows (DB2 for LUW) which I have developed over several years as a DBA to make my duties a little easier. The package has been tested on DB2 9.7, 10.1, and 10.5 under Linux (and previously with DB2 9.5 under Linux, although I cannot currently test with this version).
The utilities cover a range of topics including:
- Manipulation of user authorizations including copy all authorizations from one user to another
- Numerous date/time manipulation functions including a table-function for generating arbitrary date ranges
- Management of temporal data including automatic construction of effective-expiry-style history tables, the triggers to maintain them, and various views of historical data
- Perl-compatible regular expression functions including searching, substitution and splitting
- Automatic construction of exception tables (and analysis views) as used by the built-in LOAD utility and the SET INTEGRITY command
- Utilities for easy reconstruction of invalidated views and triggers (rather redundant as of 9.7, but probably still useful on 9.5)
- Utility functions which ease the construction of procedures which generate SQL (e.g. string and identifier quoting, construction of comma-separated column lists)
All functions and procedures are reasonably well documented in these pages, in comments in the source files, and with COMMENT ON statements within the database. Per-module and suite-wide roles are also defined to permit easy management of which users have access to which routines.
A simple installation procedure is provided for Linux/UNIX users, but Windows support is on an “if you can get it working” basis: I don’t have any DB2 for Windows installations to play with and I’ve no idea how one compiles external C-based UDFs on Windows.